5 Ingredients, an Urban Family series where we sit down with a Shanghai-based chef and ask for a family-friendly meal using 5 Ingredients easily found in Shanghai; let us help you start the week with a simple five-step recipe!
This week we talked to chef Michael Wendling. With an extensive background spanning 25 years, Wendling has put his culinary prowess to use in Shanghai for the past 12 years with amazing results. Originally moving here to open Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, he took the leap to go out on his own, and has since launched three successful restaurants; French cuisine Cuivre, Thai eatery T for Thai and gourmet burger cafe CU2+.
Can you tell me about the dish you are helping us prepare this week?
I am going to share my Papillote de Dorade, a simple red snapper with bell peppers and fresh herbs baked in parchment paper. This is the perfect dish for the warmer seasons; fast to prepare and so tasty. En Papillote is French for ‘in parchment,’ which refers to the cooking method where the food is placed inside a folded pouch or parcel and then baked.
What five ingredients do we need?
1 red snapper fillet
1 red and yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, diced
Fresh thyme and rosemary, to taste
What is the five-step recipe?
Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
1. In a pan with olive oil, fry the sliced bell peppers and onion until soft. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside to cool.
2. Once cooled, place the vegetables on a sheet of parchment paper.
3. Add the tomato and a sprig of rosemary and thyme.
4. Season the snapper fillet with salt and pepper then place on top of the vegetables
5. Close the parchment paper by rolling the sides, and bake in the oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
What’s your advice on your dish of the week?
If you don't have an oven you can also steam the fillet in a dumpling basket for 10 minutes.
Tell us something that’s happening in your restaurant at the moment, that our Urban Family community can enjoy.
Over the past few months at Cuivre we have been updating our dinner menu on a weekly basis, and from next week will launch a new brunch menu.
For more 5 Ingredients recipes, click here.